Lawrence Chapel, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lawrence Chapel is off Farm Road 112 eleven miles southeast of Taylor in southeastern Williamson County. It was named for Adam Lawrence, a pioneer rancher and farmer and a veteran of the Texas revolution and of service against the Indians. Lawrence founded the community in 1838 and built a log house as a combination church and school. The community was known as Cross Roads in its early years, and a Cross Roads post office operated out of a store on the site from 1858 to 1867. Several gins were located near the community in the late nineteenth century, and the Lawrence Chapel school had thirty-eight pupils in 1903. In 1988 it had a church, a cemetery, and a few houses.

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Lawrence Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lawrence-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
March 1, 1995

Place
Lawrence Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Williamson County
Associated Names

Cross Roads 2