Laws, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Laws was ten miles northwest of Mount Vernon in northwestern Franklin County. A post office was established there in 1883 with John A. Laws as postmaster. In 1890 the community had an estimated population of thirty, a gin, a mill, and the grocery and distillery that John Laws operated. The post office was closed in 1906, and by the 1930s Laws had ceased to exist as a named community.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Laws, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/laws-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Laws
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Franklin County
Associated Names

-Store