Lay, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Lay is twelve miles south of Lufkin in southern Angelina County. The area was settled before the Civil War. A post office opened in 1898 named for William C. Lay, who was the first postmaster. Mail service was discontinued in 1906. In the mid-1930s Lay had several stores and a church. In the early 1990s a church, a community center, and a few scattered houses still occupied the site. Lay was no longer shown on county highway maps in 2000.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Lay, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lay-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Loading