Leatherwood, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Leatherwood was near what is now U.S. Highway 82/State Highway 114 twelve miles east of Crosbyton in extreme eastern Crosby County, near the Dickens county line. A school district was started there on July 9, 1912, and a school was soon built on the M. G. Leatherwood farm and named for that family. The building also served as a church and community center. Leatherwood was one of eighteen school districts in Crosby County in the 1930s. The school served the area until August 15, 1949, when it was consolidated with Crosbyton school. Nothing remained of the community in the 1980s except a Texas Historical Commission marker relating the history of the school.

Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum, A History of Crosby County, 1876–1977 (Dallas: Taylor, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Leatherwood, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/leatherwood-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Leatherwood
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Crosby County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.68886800°
  • Longitude: -101.06178500°