Lebanon, TX (Hill County)


By: Lisa C. Maxwell

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Lebanon was just south of the intersection of Farm roads 2114 and 1304 and sixteen miles southwest of Hillsboro in southwestern Hill County. The community was named for the Lebanon Methodist Church that was founded in the area in 1872. In 1905 the Lebanon school had eighty-four pupils. The school closed in the late 1940s, and its students attended classes in nearby Aquilla. In 1923 the Latham Springs Baptist Encampment opened in Lebanon. By the 1980s it was used from spring through fall for camps and retreats, accommodating up to 600 campers at a time in its eleven dormitories.

Hill County Historical Commission, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1853–1980 (Waco: Texian, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lisa C. Maxwell, “Lebanon, TX (Hill County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lebanon-tx-hill-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Lebanon
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380071
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hill County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.81043810°
  • Longitude: -97.27056510°