A. A. Ledbetter, pioneer physician, son of William and Cassandra Spragins (Black) Ledbetter, was born in Tallapoosa County, Alabama, on May 21, 1844. He served in the Confederate Army and after the war studied medicine at Tulane University. In the fall of 1869 he settled at Vienna, Lavaca County, Texas, where he practiced medicine until 1887. He moved to Hallettsville that year, continued to practice medicine, and operated a drugstore. He married Julia Guitella Denson in Ludlow, Mississippi, in 1868. They had twelve children, four of whom married and produced children of their own. Mrs. Ledbetter died on November 28, 1893. Dr. Ledbetter subsequently married Mrs. Annie James of Oakland, Texas, in 1897. He died in Hallettsville on June 24, 1919, and was buried in City Cemetery.