Leedale, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Leedale is on Farm Road 437 and the Whatley Branch of South Elm Creek, sixteen miles east of Belton in southeastern Bell County. It apparently first developed in the early 1900s as a school community near the older community of Gindale. Leedale reported one business and a population of twenty-five in 1946. In 1948 it had a store, a gas station, and a cotton gin, and by 1964 Leedale had a population of twenty living in scattered dwellings and appears to have absorbed Gindale. In 1990 Leedale reported sixteen inhabitants. The population remained the same in 2000.

Oscar Lewis, On the Edge of the Black Waxy: A Cultural Survey of Bell County (Washington University Studies, St. Louis, 1948).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Leedale, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/leedale-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Leedale
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380073
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.98657220°
  • Longitude: -97.19805160°
Population Counts
People Year
24 2009