Leland, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Leland was between Alma and the Trinity River twenty miles south of Waxahachie in southeastern Ellis County. The first settler in the area was J. C. Carter, who arrived from Georgia in 1870. In 1894 postal service to the town began. In the 1890s the town had a school, two churches, a physician, a blacksmith shop, and a general store. In 1906 postal service was discontinued. Throughout its history Leland served as a community center for area farmers. The town had ten residents and one rated business in the 1930s. No population figures have been available since 1940, and the community does not appear on current maps of Ellis County.

Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Leland, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/leland-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Leland
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Ellis County
Associated Names

Price's Cross Roads

Spunkie's Ridge