Leming is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 281 and Farm Road 1470, twelve miles northeast of Jourdanton in northeastern Atascosa County. The name of the first post office, founded in 1880, was Las Gallinas. Around 1900 P. B. Leming, from Cape Girardeau, Missouri, moved to the town to be in charge of the development of the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad. When the railroad line was completed in 1902, the twenty-five residents of Las Gallinas successfully petitioned the United States postal service for the town to be called Leming. The First Baptist Church of Leming was founded in 1913. That year the Leming school district was formed, and the district constructed a new brick building in 1914. By that year the community had grown to a population of 150 and had telephone service, a bank, a cotton gin, and a restaurant. Throughout the 1920s and 1930s the population declined and then leveled off at about 100; five or six businesses remained active. In 1932 Leming's school offered kindergarten through the eleventh grade, and students finished their education at Poteet. In the late 1930s the population of Leming grew to 250, and it was reported at that level for the next fifty years. In 1940 Leming had five businesses, two churches, and a school. A local Catholic church was established in 1952. At first the congregation met in old army barracks brought from San Antonio, but in 1962 a new building was constructed. The local school was consolidated into the Pleasanton Independent School District in 1963, and after that time the Leming school functioned as an elementary for grades one through five. In 1980, though the Leming population was still reported as 250, the town had only one business. In 1984 Leming had three businesses, two churches, and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1990 the population was still reported as 250. The population was 268 in 2000.