Lewis Chapel, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Lewis Chapel (Louis Chapel) is eight miles northeast of Jefferson and 1½ miles east of Farm Road 248 at the intersection of two country roads in northeastern Marion County. In 1938 the community had a three-room schoolhouse that accommodated 106 black elementary students and three teachers. The school was consolidated with the Jefferson schools by 1955, and in 1962 the community consisted of a church, a cemetery, and several scattered dwellings. The church and cemetery were still identified on the 1983 county highway map.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Lewis Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lewis-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Lewis Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1339848
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Associated Names

Louis Chapel

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.85013800°
  • Longitude: -94.26491120°