Lewis Ferry was on the Neches River, above its confluence with the Angelina River, seventy-five miles north of Beaumont in extreme northwestern Jasper County. The Lewis Ferry post office operated from 1859 to 1912, when the end of the steamboat era in Southeast Texas saw the abandonment of several Neches River ferries, among them Lewis Ferry. The ferry was probably named for Martin B. Lewis, a prominent figure in antebellum Jasper County.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Robert Wooster, “Lewis Ferry, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 28, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lewis-ferry-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.