Liberty Hill, TX (San Jacinto County)


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Liberty Hill is on Farm Road 2025 sixty miles north of Houston in central San Jacinto County. Ira Buckalew and his two sons, who entered the region from Louisiana sometime before 1884, were the first recorded permanent settlers of the area. Mrs. R. G. West, the wife of another early settler, suggested that the small community be named Liberty Hill at the time the local church was organized in 1897. Although most business was done at Coldspring or Cleveland, the presence of numerous tram railroad lines throughout the Liberty Hill area, in addition to the Foster Lumber Company's ownership or leasing of extensive tracts of land, suggests that the region was once important in the East Texas logging industry. A church and cemetery remain, and gravel pits and oil wells to the north of Liberty Hill reflect continued economic activity.

Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Liberty Hill, TX (San Jacinto County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/liberty-hill-tx-san-jacinto-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Liberty Hill
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1382144
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Jacinto County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.51492440°
  • Longitude: -95.14354830°