Lilbert, formerly known as Wallace Grove, is near the junction of Farm roads 343 and 1648 eighteen miles northwest of Nacogdoches in northwestern Nacogdoches County. The area was probably first settled after the Civil War. For a time the community was known as Wallace Grove after a family of early settlers. When a post office opened in 1899, the name was changed to Lilbert, after the Rev. John Lilbert Wortham, who was the first postmaster. A school was in operation at the community by the turn of the century, and in 1904 it had an enrollment of seventy-five. During the 1930s Lilbert had an estimated population of thirty-five, served by a church, a school, and two stores. The school later closed, but in the early 1960s the community still had the church and two stores. In 1990 Lilbert was a dispersed farming community.