Lillard, TX

By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995

Lillard is on State Highway Spur 498 three miles east of Silsbee and twenty-three miles north of Beaumont in eastern Hardin County. The Yellow Pine Tie and Lumber Company established a sawmill at Lillard in 1898, three years after the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway had opened the densely forested area to lumbermen. The Lillard mill, which had a daily cutting capacity of 40,000 board feet, was acquired by John Henry Kirby as part of his massive takeover of East Texas mills in 1902. However, the Lillard operations were soon discontinued as nearby Silsbee took on new importance in the lumber trade. The Lillard post office was established in 1899 and discontinued in 1904. Lillard voters were to cast their ballots at Silsbee in the future. Only a few scattered dwellings remain.

J. R. Omohundro, "John Henry Kirby-Man and Legend," Texas Gulf Historical and Biographical Record 4 (1968).
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Lillard, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Currently Exists
Place Type
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hardin County
Associated Names


  • Latitude: 30.35520840°
  • Longitude: -94.11823820°