Linn is off U.S. Highway 281 thirty miles northeast of McAllen in north central Hidalgo County. The community was established in 1927 as a station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and was named for Linn A. Dougherty, son of land developer William M. Dougherty. A post office opened there in 1928, and by 1930 the new town had two stores and a population of twenty. By 1936 Linn still had a population of twenty, as well as a church, a school, and two stores. In 1947 it comprised a school, six businesses, and a population of 150. Linn reported a population of 450 and no businesses in 1990. By 2000 the population was 958 with fourteen businesses.