Linwood (Linnwood) Crossing was at the point where the Old San Antonio Road crossed the Angelina River, near the site of what is now the State Highway 21 bridge in Cherokee County. The area was first settled by Joseph Durst and his wife, Delilah (Dill) Durst. She had inherited the southeast league of the Helena Kimble grant, which borders the Angelina River on the west side and the Old San Antonio Road on the north side, and she and her husband settled there in the early 1830s. Durst's brother John constructed a bridge about a half mile south of the crossing around 1832, because as Nicholas Adolphus Sterne related, after heavy rains "the Angelina [at the Linwood Crossing would be] out of its banks and all over the bottom." After the battle of Nacogdoches in 1832, José de las Piedras, commandant of the Mexican garrison in East Texas, took refuge at Linwood Crossing with Joseph Durst. In the late 1830s or early 1840s Durst's son James and his wife Ann Harrison began promoting a town nearby which they called Linwood; it was the predecessor of present-day Linwood.