Little Mississippi, TX


By: James L. Hailey

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Little Mississippi was just off Farm Road 979 near Owensville in central Robertson County. The area was first settled in the 1830s by southern cotton farmers, mostly not slave owners, who had fled the economic hard times back in the United States. Residents attended church and school at nearby Mount Vernon. The establishment of Owensville, then Calvert, and, finally, Franklin, served to draw the population away from Little Mississippi, as did the railroads that bypassed it in the late 1800s. By 1900 little remained of the community.

J. W. Baker, History of Robertson County, Texas (Franklin, Texas: Robertson County Historical Survey Committee, 1970).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

James L. Hailey, “Little Mississippi, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/little-mississippi-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Little Mississippi
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1361409
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Robertson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.06296280°
  • Longitude: -96.55247010°