Little St. Louis, TX


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Little St. Louis was a DeWitt County community a mile north of Yorktown, an area settled predominantly by Germans. Fred Geffert opened a dance hall at the site on the highway to Davy; by 1948 the hall had been discontinued, but in 1962 the locale still had a grocery and service station. Little St. Louis was not shown on the 1965 county highway map. The town never had a post office. About a mile south of Yorktown, Herman Gruenewald opened another dance hall, which became known as Little Milwaukee. This site was abandoned by 1962.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Little St. Louis, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/little-st-louis-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Little St. Louis
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.99581090°
  • Longitude: -97.47999370°