Lloyd, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Lloyd, founded in 1850 on the old McKinney-Denton road nine miles east of Denton, was one of the pioneer settlements in Denton County. The community was named after A. P. Lloyd, the first county clerk, and had the first post office in the county. At one time Lloyd had a school, a Methodist church, and several businesses, including two stores and a gin. Like many of the other pioneer settlements in Denton County bypassed by the railroads, Lloyd failed to develop a self-sustaining economy. The community remained a village until World War II, when the few remaining residents left, so that by 1945 only a few vacant buildings remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Lloyd, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lloyd-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Lloyd
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1340290
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Denton County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.20873000°
  • Longitude: -96.97334000°