Lockett, TX (Marion County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Lockett was on a country road just west of U.S. Highway 59 and eight miles north of Jefferson in north central Marion County. It was probably named for Royal Francis Lockett, who owned a plantation on or near the site and had some fifty-five slaves in 1860. A post office was established at the community in January 1884, and by 1890 Lockett had thirty inhabitants and a general store run by J. N. Jackson. Lockett had Baptist and Methodist churches, a school, a blacksmith, a general store, and a flour mill and gin in 1896. Its post office closed in 1903, and by the 1930s the community consisted of a cemetery and a few dwellings scattered along the road. In 1961 all that remained of the Lockett community was a cemetery.

Lucille Blackburn Bullard, Marion County, Texas, 1860–1870 (Jefferson, Texas, 1965).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Lockett, TX (Marion County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lockett-tx-marion-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Lockett
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1340308
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Associated Names

Myrtle

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.87624700°
  • Longitude: -94.38047150°