Lockhart, TX (DeWitt County)


By: Craig H. Roell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lockhart was a black rural community near Buchel and U.S. Highway 183, five miles north of Cuero in north central DeWitt County. The community dates from about 1900; its centers were the Lockhart school, established in 1902 on the Sam Lockhart survey, and New Hope Baptist Church, organized in 1903. Although the school was probably closed by 1950, when most schools in the county had been consolidated, the church and its cemeteries were still in use in 1961. By 1965 the community seems to have become incorporated into Buchel.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Craig H. Roell, “Lockhart, TX (DeWitt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lockhart-tx-dewitt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Lockhart
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377584
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.16108480°
  • Longitude: -97.27721150°