Locust, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Locust was a farming community just off Farm Road 996 and near the Big Mineral Arm of Lake Texoma, thirteen miles northwest of Sherman in northwestern Grayson County. The community developed in the late 1880s, and in 1892 it received a post office. By 1900 Locust had a general store, a gin, a church, and an estimated thirty-five residents. In 1907 its post office closed. The population estimate for Locust in the 1940s was thirty. In 2000 a population of 118 was reported.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Locust, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/locust-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Locust
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380097
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Grayson County
Associated Names

Morton

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.79732600°
  • Longitude: -96.77249950°
Population Counts
People Year
118 2014