Lodwick, TX

By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995

Lodwick is on Farm Road 1968 near the south shore of Lake O' the Pines, fourteen miles west of Jefferson in southwestern Marion County. It was named for Lodwick Alford. A post office, which at different times was considered variously to be in Marion and in Harrison counties, operated in the community from 1875 to 1917. In 1884 the population of Lodwick was estimated at thirty, and in 1892 the community had a general store, a saw and flour mill, a gin, and an estimated fifty inhabitants. By 1896 Lodwick had Methodist and Baptist churches. Timber processing was an important industry in the community, and in 1905 the Texas Southern line built a spur to the Lodwick Lumber Company. The local timber industry seems to have declined soon thereafter, and the railroad spur was abandoned in 1909. In 1914 the community had thirty-five residents but no longer had a sawmill. The Lodwick school had thirty-three pupils and one teacher in 1938. The school was consolidated with those of Jackson by 1955, and in 1961 Lodwick had a church and several scattered dwellings. In 1983 the community consisted of a church and a business.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Lodwick, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lodwick-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Currently Exists
Place Type
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harrison County