Logan, TX (Marion County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Logan, also known as Logan Chapel, is in eastern Marion County ten miles northeast of Jefferson on State Highway 49. In 1938 the community had a two-room schoolhouse that accommodated fifty-eight black elementary students and two teachers. The school was consolidated with those of Jefferson by 1955. In the 1960s Logan consisted of a community hall, a church, a business, and several scattered dwellings. A second church, called Shady Grove, was located about half a mile west of Logan. The 1983 county highway map showed Logan with a church, a community hall, a business, and the Shady Grove church about half a mile down the road.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Logan, TX (Marion County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/logan-tx-marion-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Logan
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1340330
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Associated Names

-Chapel

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.80875100°
  • Longitude: -94.19352020°