Logtown, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Logtown was near Log Town Pond and what is now Farm Road 363, forty-seven miles northeast of Beaumont in central Newton County. Seeking to capitalize on the opportunities afforded by the newly built Jasper and Eastern Railway, the Boynton Lumber Company had by 1910 established a sawmill at the Logtown site. Tax rolls of 1910 indicate that the company had $5,000 worth of industrial machinery at Logtown. A post office was secured in 1909, with James S. Derrough and later Walter K. Boynton serving as postmasters. Logtown's population grew to a peak of 700. However, the Logtown enterprise soon lost its momentum, as timber was cut out and lumber companies competed for tight markets. In 1913 the post office was relinquished to nearby Bleakwood. Maps of the 1980s show no traces of the sawmill community, although the name of the pond reflects the locale's heritage.

Robert S. Maxwell and Robert D. Baker, Sawdust Empire: The Texas Lumber Industry, 1830–1940 (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983). Newton County Historical Commission, Crosscuts: An Anthology of Memoirs of Newton County Folk (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Logtown, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/logtown-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Logtown
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Newton County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.70096180°
  • Longitude: -93.78369480°