Lohn is two miles west of U.S. Highway 283 and fifteen miles north of Brady in northern McCulloch County. The first settlers in the area were the William F. Lohn family in 1879. In 1881 they were joined by other German families. Morgan Stacy built a store at the community site and ran the post office when it was granted in 1890. In 1892 the community had a flour mill and gin, a general store, and a Baptist church. The first school was a one-room structure built in 1893. When the Lohn Central School was completed in 1896, smaller schools at Cow Creek and Salt Gap were consolidated with it. New businesses were built from around 1910 through the 1920s, and the number of residents increased from seventy-five in 1914 to a high of 360 in 1931. The Lohn population was 250 in the 1940s and 1950s, but it fell to 100 in the mid-1960s. In 1988 two businesses and 149 residents were reported there; the population of Lohn was still estimated at 149 in 2000.