Lois, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lois is twelve miles south of Gainesville on Farm Road 2848 in southern Cooke County. The community developed in the late 1800s, and between 1897 and 1904 it had a post office. In 1936 Lois had a school, a factory, two other businesses, two churches, and a number of scattered dwellings. The population was estimated at fifty. In 1943 the Lois school was consolidated into the Valley View school district. By 1963 Lois had a factory, a business, a church, and an estimated population of sixty. The 1978 county highway map showed a church and a number of scattered dwellings at Lois. In 2000 the population was twenty.

Gainesville Daily Register, Centennial Edition, August 30, 1948.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Lois, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lois-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Lois
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1361621
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cooke County
Associated Names

Nola

Wilson

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.45622330°
  • Longitude: -97.22029290°
Population Counts
People Year
10 2009