Lone Mountain, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Lone Mountain was a farming community on Farm Road 2263 five miles northeast of Gilmer in central Upshur County. Originally known as Lone Mountain School, the community was probably settled before 1900. In the mid-1930s Lone Mountain had a school, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II its school was consolidated with those of Gilmer, and the church was disbanded. During the mid-1960s all that remained of the community was a cemetery and a few widely scattered houses. In 1990 Lone Mountain was an abandoned site.

Audie Ray, Lurline, and Douglas Ray Stanley, comps. and eds., Upshur County Cemetery Records (Gilmer, Texas, 1974).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Lone Mountain, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lone-mountain-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Loading