Long King, principal chief of the Coushatta Indians in Texas during the first three decades of the 1800s, was referred to as the mingo or chief above all other Coushatta chiefs in Texas. He lived in Long King's Village, the middle village of the three most significant villages the Coushattas established in Texas. Long King's Village was in what is now Polk County near the junction of Tempe Creek and Long King Creek, three miles north of the Trinity River. On September 27, 1830, José Francisco Madero was appointed general land commissioner of Texas. On January 14, 1831, he arrived in Texas and announced that he would begin issuing land titles in the Trinity River area. In April 1831 he took a census of the Alabama and Coushatta Indians in Texas. In his report on the census he wrote that Long King was the principal chief of the Coushattas. In 1882 L. W. Currie, Presbyterian missionary to the Alabama-Coushatta Indians, wrote in a report to the Office of Indian Affairs that the Polk County Indians informed him that Long King had served as a Coushatta chief. Long King Trace, Long King Creek, and Long King's Village were all named for this prominent Coushatta chief; all three landmarks are mentioned frequently in the field notes of original Polk County land surveys. Though the date of Long King's death is not available in Alabama-Coushatta tribal records, he probably died around 1838, since after this year there is no mention of Long King as principal chief of the Coushattas. Colita emerged as Long King's successor.