Long Station, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Long Station, also known as Longs, was just south of Village Mills forty-one miles north of Beaumont in northern Hardin County. The construction of the Sabine and East Texas Railroad having opened the virgin forests of Hardin County to Southeast Texas lumbermen, a sawmill and railroad stop called Longs was established in 1882. The community of some 200 persons was named for the Long and Company Mill and located in the center of stately pine forests. Long Station townsite lots were being sold by 1895. The post office at nearby Village Mills moved to Long Station in 1938. Long Station continued to be listed as a separate community through the mid-1960s. The area, now known collectively as Village Mills, gets most of its economic strength from the Village Mills oilfields and Wildwood Resort City, located abut two miles to the west.

Mary Lou Proctor, A History of Hardin County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1950).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Long Station, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/long-station-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Long Station
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hardin County
Associated Names

Longs

Village Mills