Lookout, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lookout was on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line and Farm Road 78, seven miles northeast of downtown San Antonio in northeastern Bexar County. A post office operated at the site from 1893 to 1902. In 1896 the community had a general store, a butcher's shop, a saloon, and a blacksmith shop. Lookout declined after 1900, but as late as the mid-1930s it still had a school, a station, and a number of houses. With the growth of nearby Kirby and Converse after World War II the community lost its distinctive identity, and by the 1950s it was no longer shown on maps.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Lookout, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lookout-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Loading