Lou, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lou was in an oil and farming area seventeen miles west of Lamesa in western Dawson County. The C. L. Gaultney family settled there in August 1906. They helped organize the community and build the school. They also helped R. B. Red build one of the first gins in the county. A post office was established on August 2, 1907, with Charles B. Martin as postmaster, and a small community grew up near the office. A Christian society was organized the same year. In 1945 Lou had a post office, two businesses, and a population of fifty. The post office continued until the late 1940s. County maps in the 1980s showed no evidence of the rural community.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Lou, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lou-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Lou
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Dawson County
Associated Names

Red

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.91309500°
  • Longitude: -102.17601400°