Louisiana and Arkansas Railway

By: Nancy Young

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995

The Louisiana and Arkansas Railway Company was chartered in Delaware on July 7, 1928, to acquire the old Louisiana and Arkansas Railway Company and to acquire and lease the Louisiana Railway and Navigation Company. This formed a system with routes from Shreveport, Louisiana, to New Orleans; Hope, Arkansas, to Alexandria, Louisiana; and from Minden, Louisiana, to Shreveport. In 1934 the company merged the LR&N. The principal office was originally in Shreveport, but was subsequently moved to Kansas City, Missouri. On July 1, 1939, the L&A merged its Texas subsidiary, the Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas Railway Company, into the parent company. The LA&T owned a line extending from McKinney to Waskom, a distance of 181 miles, and also operated over trackage rights granted by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company between Farmersville and Dallas. In 1940 the L&A abandoned the sixteen miles between Farmersville and McKinney. The L&A had freight earnings in Texas of $3,980,000 in 1944. Seven miles was abandoned in the area of the Texas-Louisiana state line in 1956 as part of the project to build a new freight yard at Shreveport. In 1939 the L&A was acquired by the Kansas City Southern Railway Company, and certain operations were consolidated. Although the L&A continued to operate as a separate railroad, financial results were reported on a system wide basis beginning in 1969. On July 1, 1992, the L&A was merged into the Kansas City Southern.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nancy Young, “Louisiana and Arkansas Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/louisiana-and-arkansas-railway.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995