Armand Victor Loupé (Loupy), a Frenchman reputedly from Louisiana, was an original colonist of the Power and Hewetson colony in Texas during the late 1820s and 1830s. He was one of the colony's official surveyors. He received a grant of one league as a colonist, dated November 26, 1834. Loupé was one of the party of Refugians who participated in George Morse Collinsworth's capture of Goliad on October 10, 1835, and was a member of Philip Dimmitt's garrison. Loupé also supplied James Walker Fannin's army at Goliad with beef, horses, and oxen during their occupation and later received several land bounty warrants for this service to the Republic of Texas. His name is listed among those who signed the Goliad Declaration of Independence. Loupé served as interpreter for Henry Wax Karnes and Henry Teal on their mission to Matamoros in 1837, and later he became involved in the Federalist Wars of the northern Mexican states. He was probably a part of Capt. Ewen Cameron's company of Texans who were in Mexico at various times from 1838 to 1840. Loupé attached himself to Col. Antonio Zapata and was shot with him at Monclova, Coahuila, in March 1840.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
DeWitt Clinton Baker, comp., A Texas Scrap-Book (New York: Barnes, 1875; rpt. 1887; facsimile rpt., Austin: Steck, 1935). Hobart Huson, Captain Philip Dimmitt's Commandancy of Goliad, 1835–1836 (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1974). Hobart Huson, Refugio: A Comprehensive History of Refugio County from Aboriginal Times to 1953 (2 vols., Woodsboro, Texas: Rooke Foundation, 1953, 1955). Thomas L. Miller, Bounty and Donation Land Grants of Texas, 1835–1888 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967).
- Mexican Texas
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Hobart Huson, “Loupé, Armand Victor,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 21, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/loupe-armand-victor.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.