Lovelace, TX

By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995

Lovelace is on a spur off Farm Road 2959 eight miles from Hillsboro in central Hill County. It was settled after the Civil War, when J. M. Loveless and his two brothers, William A. and Q. S., moved to Texas following their service in the Confederacy. In 1885 the Missouri, Kansas and Texas built a siding switch on Loveless's land and named the site in his honor but misspelled his name. Lovelace became a shipping point for area farmers. In addition to a number of small businesses, a church and school were built, and in 1893 a post office opened there. The Lovelace school enrollment was thirty in 1905. The population remained well under 100, and the post office closed in 1908. By the mid-1930s the town had four businesses and a population of sixty-six. After the early 1950s, when fifty residents were reported there, no further population figures were available for Lovelace. In the 1980s the town was still named on county maps. In 2000 the population was twelve.

Hill County Historical Commission, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1853–1980 (Waco: Texian, 1980).
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Lovelace, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Currently Exists
Place Type
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hill County
  • Latitude: 32.08904160°
  • Longitude: -97.12861740°
Population Counts
People Year
30 2009