Lower Neches Valley Authority

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995

The Lower Neches Valley Authority was established in 1933 as a conservation and reclamation district to store, control, conserve, and utilize the water of the lower Neches River valley. It includes all of Jefferson, Hardin, and Tyler counties and parts of Jasper, Liberty, and Chambers counties. The legislature gave the authority broad powers to develop, conserve, and protect the waters of the Neches and Angelina rivers within and outside its boundaries. The LNVA is governed by a board of nine directors appointed by the Texas Water Development Board. Until 1943 the authority was without any facilities to produce revenue. In 1943, after several years of negotiations, it was able to purchase the water rights to most of the region from the Texas Public Service Company, as well as four pumping plants and over 300 miles of canals for $3.2 million. The funds for this purchase were secured by the issuance and sale of revenue bonds. Since 1943 the system, which supplies water to the cities (except Beaumont), industry, and rice growers of Jefferson County and portions of Chambers and Liberty counties, has been renovated many times. The LNVA has also cooperated with the United States Army Corps of Engineers in planning, financing, and constructing several large multipurpose dams on the Neches and Angelina rivers. Others projects sponsored by the authority include the construction of a permanent saltwater barrier on the Neches River, a comprehensive water-quality management program, and the construction of boat ramps and other recreational facilities on area waterways.

Time Periods:
  • Great Depression

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Lower Neches Valley Authority,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 06, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lower-neches-valley-authority.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995