The Lowery-Phillips School, a private boarding academy in Amarillo, was named for its founders, B. G. Lowery and F. F. Phillips. It opened on September 1, 1910, originally on Taylor Street, with the music department on Pierce Street and the primary department in a former glove factory on East Eighth. The school was coeducational and was an accredited institution that offered courses from the elementary grades through junior college. After 1912 it became mainly a boys' military school, though it still admitted girls. During its first year, the school's encouraging enrollment level prompted the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce to promise its support. A site was selected in the University Heights addition north of the business district for permanent facilities, and in the summer of 1911 architect William Rice was given the contract to design and build a three-story brick structure, complete with a basement, to house offices, classrooms, dormitories, a kitchen, and an auditorium. The Amarillo Street Railway constructed a line to the new building, which opened in September 1913. The only facility separated from the main campus was the music conservatory, housed in the Powell Building on Polk Street. In addition to its courses in English, history, science, math, art, music, and military training, the school became noted for its baseball and football programs. Despite its excellent record and efforts by the chamber of commerce to raise funds, Lowery-Phillips School was closed in 1917 because of a lack of financial support. Its building was subsequently used as a children's home by the Presbyterian church and then as a rescue home for Blacks, before it was abandoned and finally razed in 1966.