Lowry, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Lowry was a rural community on Mill Creek seven miles southwest of Deberry in eastern Panola County. A post office opened there in 1883, and by the mid-1890s the small settlement had three grocery stores, a gristmill and cotton gin, a sawmill, and an estimated population of thirty. The post office closed in 1902, and by the mid-1930s Lowry was no longer shown on highway maps.

John Barnette Sanders, The Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Lowry, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lowry-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Lowry
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Panola County
Associated Names

Hickey's Store