The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, a weekly paper produced by the Avalanche-Journal Publishing Company, developed from a paper known as the Avalanche, first published weekly by Thad Tubbs as early as May 4, 1900, and by Dillard and Harper from 1902 to 1909. Daily morning and eveningand Sunday editions were published between 1920 and 1940, and in 1926 the paper absorbed the Plains Journal to form the Lubbock Avalanche and Plains Journal Combined. On June 29, 1959, the Lubbock Morning Avalanche and the Lubbock Evening Journal, which began publication as a daily in 1925, combined to form the daily Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, subsequently published until 1983 by Charles A. Guy. In the 1990s the paper was published by Frank Anderson and edited by Burle Pettit and had a circulation of 74,474.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Diana J. Kleiner, “Lubbock Avalanche-Journal,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 24, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lubbock-avalanche-journal.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.