Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: October 1, 1995


The Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway Company was chartered on October 14, 1912, with a capital stock of $100,000 and an office at Hemphill. The first directors included Hiram Knox, G. E. Pratt, J. O. Toole, and A. M. James, of Hemphill; C. D. Collins of Sullivan; F. J. Bernhardt of Keenan: and Arch McDonald of Houston. The railroad was chartered to run from Kindred in Angelina County east to Goodwin's Ferry on the Sabine River, thirty-six miles. In 1913 the Knox Construction Company, owned by W. H. Knox, began construction of the line at Bronson in Sabine County. About nine miles had been completed by November 1913, when construction stopped, probably due to the death of Knox. In 1916 the Knox Lumber Company completed the railroad into Hemphill, where the lumber company had established a sawmill. The 10.5-mile railroad was placed in operation about May 1, 1916. On July 21, 1921, the railroad and lumber company were acquired by the Temple Lumber Company. By 1931 the railroad had one locomotive and three freight and passenger cars. Freight earnings that year were $42,480 and passenger revenue $275. The sawmill at Hemphill burned on April 10, 1937, and was not rebuilt due to the small amount of timber remaining to be cut. The railroad could not survive the loss of the mill traffic, and the Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf was abandoned on December 13, 1937.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lufkin-hemphill-and-gulf-railway.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
October 1, 1995