Lumber, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Lumber was a rural post office and timber-processing community on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line eight miles northwest of Jefferson and 3½ miles southeast of Lassater in western Marion County. The post office was opened in 1890 and was probably named for the dominant product of the community. In 1892 Lumber comprised an estimated 100 inhabitants; it also had a general store and a saw and planing mill, both run by W. K. Henderson. W. P. Jennison was the postmaster. In 1904 the Lumber post office closed, and the community disappeared sometime thereafter, as there was no trace of it on the 1936 county highway map.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Lumber, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lumber-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Lumber
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Associated Names

Wathen

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.81593100°
  • Longitude: -94.44878100°