Lumm, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Lumm was on the Trinity Valley and Northern Railway eighteen miles north of Dayton in west central Liberty County. Its history is linked closely with that of the railroad, which reached the densely forested area in 1911. The Dayton Lumber Company, with extensive timber interests in western Liberty County and a mill at Dayton, had incorporated the line, which it originally sought to complete north to Cleveland. When this plan was deemed unnecessary, Lumm became the line's northern terminus. In 1929 the northernmost twelve miles of the Trinity Valley and Northern were abandoned. Thus deprived of its major outlet, Lumm met a similar fate. It did not appear on a 1943 Army Corps of Engineers survey map of the area and is not found on more recent USGS or Texas Highway Department maps of Liberty County.

S. G. Reed, A History of the Texas Railroads (Houston: St. Clair, 1941; rpt., New York: Arno, 1981). Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads (Austin: University of Texas Bureau of Business Research, 1981).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Lumm, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lumm-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Lumm
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377123
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Liberty County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.27798800°
  • Longitude: -94.89187190°