Lutie, TX

By: H. Allen Anderson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995

Lutie is on U.S. Highway 83 in central Collingsworth County. Before 1890 the townsite was part of the Rocking Chair Ranch lands. One of the first settlers in the area, J. H. Young, built his home on the Anderson section, named for John Anderson, the first county clerk. In 1908 the Pleasant Valley school district was organized. The following year the name was changed to Lutie, for Mrs. Lutie (R. H.) Templeton, wife of the county attorney. In 1909 a post office was established, and by 1911 the town had two stores. When the post office was discontinued in 1913 mail was routed through Aberdeen and then Wellington. In 1925 Lutie had a church, a two-teacher school, two stores, two garages, and a blacksmith. It had eight businesses and twenty-five residents in 1933, and the population had increased to 125 by 1941. During the 1960s the population began to decline, and in 1990 Lutie reported thirty-five residents and no businesses.

Clyde Chestnut Brown, A Survey History of Collingsworth County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Colorado, 1934). A History of Collingsworth County and Other Stories (Wellington, Texas: Leader Printing, 1925).


  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

H. Allen Anderson, “Lutie, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 27, 2021,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995