Francis J. Lynch, planter and legislator, was born in Cork County, Ireland, on February 10, 1815. He began the study of law in Dublin before he immigrated to the United States in 1837. He practiced law in Charleston, South Carolina, and moved to Brandon, Mississippi. After representing his district for two terms in the Mississippi legislature, he moved to Texas in 1852 and established a plantation in DeWitt County. He represented the county in the Eighth Legislature, served as a captain in the Confederate quartermaster corps during the Civil War, and was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1875. Before coming to Texas, Lynch married Mary Lewis of Mississippi; they were parents of six children. After her death he married Mrs. H. E. Harris of Goliad, and they had one son. His third marriage was to Eliza Friend of Cuero, who had one child. Lynch was active in Masonic work and helped organize the lodge at Concrete. He died at Cuero on June 3, 1897, and was buried in Hillside Cemetery.