Lyons, also known as Lyonsville, was a farming community east of U.S. Highway 77 and two miles south of what is now Schulenburg near the lower boundary of Fayette County. It was established about 1840 on land originally granted to Keziah Cryer and was named for James Lyons, who was killed in 1837 when Indian raiders kidnapped his son Warren. A post office was established at the community in 1846, and by 1860 the town had several stores, a school, a church, and a Masonic lodge. After the Civil War the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway extended its line toward San Antonio and passed two miles north of the community. In 1874 the post office, the local businesses, and the lodge moved to the railroad and formed the nucleus of the new town of Schulenburg. Throughout the twentieth century only the Corinth and Lyons cemeteries remained to mark the former Lyons townsite. In 1987 area residents raised sheep and cattle and grew hay and grain.