Lyric, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995

Updated: November 24, 2020


Lyric was 3½ miles south of the route of present-day State Highway 321, ten miles east of Cleveland in north central Liberty County. It was the site of a Kirby Lumber Company logging camp. The post office was established in 1908 with Clopton Miles as postmaster. White, Black, and Japanese workers were segregated in three tent cities. A hotel, operated by John Hamblen, and assorted company stores and offices also marked the camp. The post office, discontinued in 1911, was reopened in 1917, only to be closed again in 1920 as logging operations ended. A few foundations, nails, and bottles are all that remain of the former camp at Lyric.

Barbara Smith, "Liberty County Ghost Town: Lyric" Cleveland Area Pioneer, June 1978.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Lyric, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lyric-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995
November 24, 2020

Place
Lyric
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Liberty County