Lytle Cove, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Lytle Cove, also known as Lytle, is in a natural cove west of Lytle Creek, three miles east of U.S. Highway 83, and twelve miles south of Abilene in southeastern Taylor County. The cove and creek were named for John Lytle, who settled in the area for a time about 1870. The first permanent settlers arrived later in the decade and established sheep ranches in the area. The community was granted a post office, called Lytle, in 1880, but the office was closed the next year. In 1887 residents went to Abilene to dismantle and transport an old Chinese laundry building that had been donated to Lytle Cove as a schoolhouse, and the school opened in the winter of that year. By 1902 the school had forty-four pupils and one teacher and also served as a meeting place for Church of Christ services. In 1916 the school was consolidated with that of Potosi. The church continued to use the school building as late as the 1940s. By the 1980s the community consisted of a few scattered dwellings.

Juanita Daniel Zachry, A History of Rural Taylor County (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Lytle Cove, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/lytle-cove-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Lytle Cove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Taylor County
Associated Names

Lytle

Potosi

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.28540800°
  • Longitude: -99.68758460°