Located in the small community of Macdona west of San Antonio, Macdona Hall was built in 1908 as a dance hall, shooting hall, Hermann Sons hall, and auction barn. Macdona Hall was the center of the community’s social life until the last dance was held there in 1959.
The hall was 120 feet long and 50 feet wide, with benches positioned around the outside of the dance floor for people to sit. Texas bands popular in the mid-twentieth century regularly played Macdona Hall, and included Bob Wills, the Texas Top Hands, Adolph Hofner, Hank Thompson and his Brazos Valley Boys, the Maddox Brothers and Rose, Charlie Walker, and Lefty Frizzell. Hank Williams, with the Texas Top Hands as backup, played one of his last shows at Macdona Hall on December 16, 1952.
In 1919 Richard Magnus and Walter Koehler managed the hall, and later Frank Zienert took over management. In 1950 Leroy Forester became the manager. After the last dance was held in 1959, Macdona Hall became an auction barn. In later years the building sat vacant. In 1986 the hall burned to the ground.