Macedonia, TX (Panola County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Macedonia was three miles west of Carthage in central Panola County. It was named for a Baptist church organized there in 1845. In the mid-1930s Macedonia had a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of houses. The school was later consolidated with Carthage schools, and many of the residents moved away. In the early 1990s only a cemetery and a few scattered houses remained in the area; most of the residents were black.

John Barnette Sanders, Index to the Cemeteries of Panola County (Center, Texas, 1964).

Categories:

  • Peoples
  • African Americans

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Macedonia, TX (Panola County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/macedonia-tx-panola-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading