The Magnolia Hotel in Seguin, Guadalupe County, was built in the early 1840s. Joseph F. Johnson bought a two-room log house from James Campbell, made additions, and turned it into a hotel. Johnson sold the hotel in 1846 to Michael Erskine and Jeremiah S. Calvert. Capt. John Coffee (Jack) Hays was married there in 1847. W. S. Ried was the proprietor in the 1850s. The hotel was a popular stopover for passengers traveling through Seguin on the stage. Its cellar was cut out of solid rock and served as a refuge during Indian scares. In the 1930s a section of the hotel became part of an apartment house.